Welcome to Finance for Hospitality
I am Yiannis Megaloeconomou and I live in the beautiful, sunny and historical city of Athens, Greece. I was born and raised in the big port of Athens called Piraeus. After finishing high school and my military obligations, I studied in Chicago, Illinois and received my BA (Business Management) and MBA (Finance).
Being a Lecturer and Consultant
In 1999, I discovered that the job that makes me happy is being with students and professionals, sharing my knowledge and work experiences, interacting and working with others as a team and learning myself from them as well. Teaching and conslulting are my favorite hobbies. They both take a lot of energy from me but at the same time they give me back more energy and great pleasure.
Teaching and consulting finance are tasks that represent a big challenge since naturally, people have a fear with numbers.
“What is it people are looking for help with? What is keeping them awake at night regarding finance?”
- Will I be able to pass by finance course?
- Will I be in a position to understand hospitality finance when I am transitioning from a different field?
- Can I understand what my restaurant or hotel’s finances are telling me?
- Would I be able to interpret financial information effectively?
- What do numbers are telling me about this hospitality business?
- Do I need to hire a financial expert to help me deal with my business’ finance?
- Am I going to go bankrupt?
- Will I fail as a financial manager of a hotel, restaurant or other hospitality business?
- Can I generate the appropriate financial reports and present them to my boss effectively?
- Do I have the necessary financial skills to assume responsibilities at a higher and more demanding position within a hospitality operation?
- Can I start and manage finances of my own business?
However, it becomes extremely rewarding for students, working professionals and myself when this fear is overcome and they start to understand, enjoy, and utilize successfully finance.
Helping people to understand and use productively finance is my passion. It’s what I know doing best for students and professionals globally. I truly enjoy being and communicating with people, inspiring others to believe in themselves, and help them obtain the necessary credentials to succeed professionally in their jobs and/or own businesses.
- B.A. in Business Management from Saint Xavier University (Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.).
- M.B.A. in Finance from Saint Xavier University (Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.).
Lecturer at the Bachelor and Master levels for Hospitality and Tourism Management and Business Administration Programs for the following institutions:
- University of Wales
- Bournemouth University
- University of Leicester
- University of Surrey
- Plymouth University
- University of Derby
- Queens Margaret University
- Herriot Watt University
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- London Metropolitan University
- Alpine Center/Swiss Alpine
- Swiss Education Group (DCT)
Areas of teaching
- Finance and accounting
- Business management
- Dissertation, statistics and research methods
- Financial and business planning for new and existing enterprises
- Consultation and training for hospitality education institutions on various academic and quality assurance areas
- Store manager for a financial services (brokerage) firm in Athens, Greece